I came across a new meme on writer A.E. Rought’s blog today: Thankful for Thursday. The idea is simple—take a few minutes to list things you’re thankful for. It’s a wonderful exercise because changing your perspective on an issue can often turn things around. The more you find to feel good about, the better you feel. It sounds obvious when I put it that way, but I’m always surprised how easy it is to sink into complaining and focusing on the negative. And, honestly, how does your life look when you view it through that lens?
Lately, I’ve been focused too much on the negative stuff, even though I know I’ve got lots of wonderful things happening in my life. So I’m going to jump in on the Thankful Thursday meme and pay more attention to some of those wonderful things. Here’s my list:
- I’m thankful for three months’ worth of work at good pay on a new freelance project.
- I’m thankful for an insightful, encouraging editorial letter that “gets” my WIP and has me excited about revising.
- I’m thankful I get to work at home, on my own schedule.
- I’m thankful for new opportunities and ideas.
- I’m thankful for an impending visit from someone special (it’s a surprise for someone else, so I can’t say who’s visiting 😉 ).
- I’m thankful for my husband. ‘Nuff said.
That’s enough for now. I think I’ll keep doing this on Thursdays. Maybe next week it’ll be an essay instead of a list, but today this was good for me to do. What are you thankful for today? Or how can you take something that’s been bugging you and turn it inside out to see the gleam of that silver lining?
By the way, this meme was started by the bloggers at Oasis for YA, which is a great source of information and inspiration for YA writers.